The Irish Traveller Movement and other national organisations continue to work with the Minister for Housing, Damien English and his department, who have provided funding to local authorities to ensure the prevention of COVID-19 infection for Travellers across Traveller-specific accommodation.
A government circular to all Local Authorities on March 18th on measures designed to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and lessen the risk of infection, particularly for those living on sites with limited facilities, outlined the extra measures needed, including:
- Extra toilets;
- Running water;
- Additional mobile accommodation / space where there is overcrowding;
- Extra refuse collection;
- Access and egress on sites; and
- Additional units (either mobiles on site or houses elsewhere that will allow for self-isolation/ quarantine).
If you are worried about your living conditions and the coronavirus there are three things you can do:
- Contact your Local Authority to inform them of your need, and remind them of the above message.
- Contact your local Traveller organisation, see here for the list of all our members.
- Contact The Irish Traveller Movement Accommodation Officer by email on email@example.com or call 01 679 6577.